Anime Boulevard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Miserable english dub... why?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fez
Unholy
Unholy
Fez

Miserable english dub... why? Empty
PostSubject: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 18:22

why do the idiots that dub things into english fail so miserably...

i mean if dont pay attention to the fact that they censor everything funny, their voices themselves choose a loli character to sound like a 40 year old chain smoker
Back to top Go down
Saya Otonashi
Admin
Admin
Saya Otonashi

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 18:25

You are right... and I have some examples... Bigsmile
I don't know why though
Back to top Go down
https://animeboulevard.forumotion.com
Raito
Unholy
Unholy
Raito

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 18:25

yes you are right come on sasuke sounded like a 21 year old guy
well One Piece was horrible
well only a few shows have good dubs like Cowboy Bebop Bleach, Ghost In The Shell, and many others
Back to top Go down
Fez
Unholy
Unholy
Fez

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 18:27

yeah, and i watched something on youtube comparing CCS english and japanese, the english dubbed was such a fail
Back to top Go down
Saya Otonashi
Admin
Admin
Saya Otonashi

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 18:37

You are right. Other opinions?
Back to top Go down
Raito
Unholy
Unholy
Raito

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 18:42

well the only dubbed that was really good was the voice actor for L
Back to top Go down
Fez
Unholy
Unholy
Fez

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 18:44

the people that get PAID do english dub anime, need to learn from the japanese...

but, wangan is right there are a few that have decent dubs... but you notice the difference between them??

ghost in the shell, cowboy bebop, bleach.... all have something in common, -all characters are over 18. or at least look it.

most other anime's have small built characters, and have only partly defined characteristics.

it would seem that americans cant tell the difference between the two... so they use the same voices for everything
Back to top Go down
Raito
Unholy
Unholy
Raito

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 19:14

is it me or did the voice actor for Lelouch cometimes who i also the one for Ichigo made some aprts when lelouch talk sound kinda cheesy and lame
Back to top Go down
Fez
Unholy
Unholy
Fez

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 19:17

i almost never watch eng. dubbed so i wouldnt know x-x
Back to top Go down
Raito
Unholy
Unholy
Raito

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 19:18

well try the good ones i recomend the dubbed version of Death Note
Back to top Go down
Fez
Unholy
Unholy
Fez

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 19:22

i duno i loved DN raw... but i have seen ghost in the shell and bleach and cowboy bebop all in eng dub and liked them, so i guess i'll check out DN as well

question would be tho... where can i watch DN eng dub online?

i only know of japanese sites....
Back to top Go down
Raito
Unholy
Unholy
Raito

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 19:24

apperantly iv been asking the same thing since i hate clicking parts on youtube ill check righ now
Back to top Go down
Fez
Unholy
Unholy
Fez

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 19:25

ahh i would never use youtube, i cant stand waiting to load different sections of episodes
Back to top Go down
Raito
Unholy
Unholy
Raito

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 19:40

Back to top Go down
Fez
Unholy
Unholy
Fez

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyFri 10 Jul - 20:03

ahh thx, i guess ill start watching it now, seeing as how my mmo just crashed
Back to top Go down
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Genten

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptySat 11 Jul - 4:02

Hmmm, I feel left out as someone who predominantly watches English dubs.

I believe there are some anime that just need to be seen in English. For instance, Baccano! takes place in America around the 1930s in the Prohibition, when everyone talked in those amusing mafia accents. There were no Japanese characters, even. The Japanese cannot easily replicate the accents of the American's and Russian's and French people in that anime.

Because Ladd Russo is obviously of French origin it sounds really weird when he opens his mouth and speaks fluent japanese.

Also, I believe that female voices are done better in English than in Japanese. When I was watching Kanon 2006 I noticed something in the JP track: all of the female characters sounded the same, and there are at least six of them to keep track of. When I switched to the English voices all of them sounded different, and I could tell who was talking easily.

The same thing happened when I watched Lucky Star. Even with Aya Hirano's distinct voice, against the myriad of other girls she completely blended in. However, Wendy Lee, who is Konata's English voice, can differentiate her voice from oh, say, Tsukasa's. When the main point of the anime is talking, it is important to be able to tell the voices apart.

Also, English dubs make for better anime watching. If I'm marathoning anime, which I have, and it's 12 'o clock a.m., I don't want to read subtitles. I want to watch the English version so I don't have to read a ton. Who wants to read things at 12 a.m. or later? Not me.

I'll admit there are some really bad dubs, or dubs I don't find very favorable (like Rozen Maiden) but those come far and few between for me.
Back to top Go down
Fez
Unholy
Unholy
Fez

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptySat 11 Jul - 6:38

:o well an anime based in america in the 30's would sound better in english

but the female voices from konan '06 dont sound the same... not to me anyways

and i prefer raw anyways x-x subs are nice if there are the random big words or if they talk too fat, but subs arent that bad even when tired.

also dubbed versions are like 90% censored x-x
Back to top Go down
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Genten

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptySat 11 Jul - 15:45

Unless it's 4kids, dub versions aren't censored that much.

If the anime runs on TV and not at a very late-night slot, then the script would have the swear words taken out to make it more appropriate for television (they are trying to make a living here). However, unless it is done intentionally, like Samurai Pizza Cats or Shin-Chan, then the script is changed very little.

What might be considered "censoring" is when the anime companies form a script to match the mouth flaps. They need to shorten sentences and rewrite them to get them to fit when the character is talking, while still retaining the original context of the Japanese script. Also, just like in English, there are idioms in Japanese, and they wouldn't translate very well into English. The dubbers, for lack of a better word, need to find something to match the mouth flaps that we would understand that still retains the Japanese meaning.

Even cultural in jokes, like in Lucky Star, are not edited out, a Linear Notes packet explaining all of the references is passed out with the DVD case.

And, as for RAWs, I don't understand Japanese, so I need the subtitles. A lot of anime viewers don't understand Japanese, so the Dubbed or Subbed versions need to be available.
Back to top Go down
Saya Otonashi
Admin
Admin
Saya Otonashi

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptySat 11 Jul - 15:56

You are right...
Back to top Go down
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Genten

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptySat 11 Jul - 18:25

Wow, I sound like a windbag in those posts.

I'm sorry, I just really like talking about these subjects because not a lot of people know about the process of dubbing anime.
Back to top Go down
Saya Otonashi
Admin
Admin
Saya Otonashi

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptySun 12 Jul - 11:57

How do you know all these things?
Back to top Go down
Saya Otonashi
Admin
Admin
Saya Otonashi

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyTue 14 Jul - 18:36

BUMP
Back to top Go down
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Genten

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyWed 15 Jul - 3:48

I know because I have far too much spare time. I read lots of Wikipedia and magazine articles and DVD extras about how the dubbing process is done and such. I've also been to panels that talk about translating manga and anime.

I find this subject very interesting, for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Fez
Unholy
Unholy
Fez

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyWed 15 Jul - 3:54

hmm i find the animation process very interesting.. but not so much the dubbing x-x
Back to top Go down
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Genten

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? EmptyWed 15 Jul - 3:55

Well, I learned that the process is very long and arduous. That's when I started to become interested in it. I find it interesting how much work goes into something that we get everyday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miserable english dub... why?   Miserable english dub... why? Empty

Back to top Go down

Miserable english dub... why?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next