Share | 

Manga that's Been Stopped

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostSubject: Manga that's Been Stopped   Tue 20 Apr - 2:19

Oh, it happens. Have you ever bought or been reading a series and then, either in one day or over a period of time, found out that manga has just ended for some strange reason? The author could have died, the publishing company went out of business, the magazine the manga was running in stopeed publishing. . . Anything.

For example, I don't even know how this happens, but I seem to have this ability to buy manga from unheard of companies that go out of business or drop off of the face of the Earth. The biggest culprit is ADV manga. Seriously, I own a ton of stuff that they used to release, including Gamerz Heaven, The First King Adventures, and the first two volumes of Tactics (before it was picked up by Tokyopop). Not only do they not release them anymore, the manga-ka of Gamerz Heaven stopped producing the series at volume 4. Then I own a lot of other niche titles that I've picked up over the years, including Tengu-Jin and Lagoon Engine, that just seemed to have stopped for no apparent reason (the later's even released by Tokyopop!).

So, for all of the manga lovers, what series do you own that suddenly seem to have stopped? Does it annoy you? Of course it does.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clovers_Gal

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Tue 20 Apr - 3:23

Good question.
I actually haven't bought the series because I'm waiting for more volumes to be released first, but it appears there might not be any more volumes released!
I wanted to read a manga series named Knights since it sounded good and was only 5 volumes. The first volume was released back in August of 08, and there hasn't been anything about the second volume. Amazon said its published by Digital Manga Publishing, which I never heard of. But at this rate, I doubt the series is going to finished being released.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Tue 20 Apr - 14:58

DMP does a lot of Yaoi manga, and they've been pretty active. It seems like there are only 5 volumes of the series in question though.

Another problem I've run into lately is a publisher who is still releasing books, but they are not available in bookstores, only online or at conventions. Case in point is the series Let Dai, an amazing manhwa that's currently at 12 or so volumes, but isn't available at your common retailer. I don't order online because I don't have a credit card, so it's a hassle trying to find these books.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merrin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Tue 20 Apr - 15:03

Yeah I had that once or twice when I was looking for the early one piece books they only had the later ones, it took me about 2 months to find volume 1 and then i bought a bulk one they still didn't have vulume one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hetalia-another-war.proboards.com/index.cgi
Clovers_Gal

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Wed 21 Apr - 13:33

You don't have to have a credit card to order online, you can use giftcards, paypal, and debit cards. If you have a bank account (depends on the bank maybe), usually if your 15 or 16, you can get a debit card. Or you can go to a store and get a visa giftcard.

Of course I order stuff off Amazon all the time. But my Borders is pretty good about having manga, they have a fairly big selection compared to some bookstores. And you can ask your bookstore to order a copy of the manga you want, I'm sure they would be glad to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Wed 21 Apr - 16:27

I'm so low tech, but I don't have a bank account. Can't get a job yet, and I have to depend on holidays and birthdays to get giftcards. Since I pay using cash I almost always just go to the bookstore.

The Borders around me are pretty good about getting manga in too. But there are always those series that slip through the cracks. For example, I still can't figure out why Yakitate!! Japan, which is licensed by Viz, isn't available in stores. It boggles the mind, since Viz gets a lot of money from Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc.

Are there any authors that you like that have this terrible habit of never finishing a series? The one I can think of off the top of my head is everyone's favorite, CLAMP. Oh, how I do loathe that group.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clovers_Gal

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Wed 21 Apr - 21:46

Its not the publishing company that puts the books in the store. Its the store that orders what it thinks will sell.

I've never read anything from CLAMP honestly. Theres a few series thats on my to read list, but most of them are long, so I don't plan on reading them anytime soon.

I don't really know of any series that has been stop, except Millennium Snow off the top of my head.I heard the author is working on finishing up Ouran instead. So who knows if it will be left at 2 volumes of if it will be continued after Ouran is done. (though I haven't read Millennium Snow)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Thu 22 Apr - 2:05

Sadly, I've read quite a few series that have been stopped. And if you plan to read anything by CLAMP, I suggest ignoring anything by the titles Legal Drug and X/1999. It looks as if they never plan to finish those two series.

My guess is that Ouran will never be finished. It just goes on forever and ever and ever. . . and not getting better. I also have another series that seems to have been put on permanent hiatus: Strawberry Marshmallow. It's supposed to be on-going, but there's been no news of a volume six for a while now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clovers_Gal

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Thu 22 Apr - 13:36

Sometimes something happens to the author/artist they could get sick or need a break. I know the auther of Nana has been sick for a while now. Unfortunately many people don't realise she is sick and get a winy thats shes being lazy and stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Thu 22 Apr - 19:46

Many authors do get injuries or become sick. Another thing that sometimes happens is a violent fan reaction. I recall hearing an incident involving the author of Kannagi and a violent reaction to the most recent volume. He either put the series' on hold or discontinued it because of that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clovers_Gal

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Thu 22 Apr - 21:44

Wow, a Violent reaction? Some people blow things totally out of proportion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Fri 23 Apr - 14:19

That's what I thought when I heard that too. Although I was more surprised that Kannagi was so popular that it could get such an outcry.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clovers_Gal

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Fri 23 Apr - 21:46

Why do people even care so much about a series to get violent? Sure, I know what it feels like when an author doesn't do a very good job with a volume, but I don't get all bent out of shape about it. It's just a piece of fiction. xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Genten
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   Sat 24 Apr - 15:25

I can somewhat sympathize with the fan's reaction. For example, I was pretty angry when Peach-Pit gave the crappiest and most sudden ending to Rozen Maiden because of a fight they had with the publishing company or some such thing. But then again I can't fathom getting angry over a decision in the plotline of a series, at least to that extent. I just hope the guy starts releasing Kannagi again.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manga that's Been Stopped   

Back to top Go down

Manga that's Been Stopped
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1